There are many tools that work with businesses to optimize their subscription management, recurring revenue, and billing.
ChartMogul is a very popular one among those. It does a pretty decent job and and can be very helpful for businesses. However, it does have some flaws which make it very complicated and frustrating to use.
Here I have gathered eight alternatives for ChartMogul that are less complicated and will give you a better time while using.
Why you should look for a ChartMogul alternative?
Many customers find ChartMogul to be a very useful analytics software. It helps businesses track a wide range of marketing metrics from churn rate to MRR. It creates visually pleasing charts and reports that collectively presents your data and helps you optimize your activity.
So, why should you even look for an alternative?
Data integration is tricky
One of the biggest struggles people face while using ChartMogul was the lack of data incorporation from other platforms and proper representation on ChartMogul dashboards.
When ChartMogul users try to transfer data from different sources and enrich their revenue analysis, ChartMogul fails to create an accurate and correctly allocated charts and reports.
Most times, people end up having to manually enter data and closely keep up with their reports —and actually do the AI’s job.
Inconsistent MRR correlation
Because ChartMogul is not great at synching with other sources and platforms, most of time the reports don’t give accurate and consistent reports.
The ChartMogul algorithm does not work with enough data integrations which results in MRR and ARR correlations that are not correctly aligned with the real revenues.
It is hard to get started with
Every software is complicated at first and you need some time du adjust to it. Introductory tutorials and “how to” guides are usually helpful with that. However, ChartMogul does not offer one for its users to get started with.
It becomes harder for ChartMogul users to get familiar with the software and it takes quite a bit of time for people to start feeling comfortable with data reports and start optimizing them.
Entering customer transactions can become an issue
Customer transactions are recorded on an add-on Google Sheet and it is very time consuming for users to enter every single transaction. And it gets even more frustrating when you make a mistake because then you have to delete the customer and start over.
Whit this system, entering customer transactions become so much more challenging than it should be —and customers are not very pleased about it.
HockeyStack is an end-to-end analytics tool for SaaS companies. It unifies marketing, revenue, sales, and product data into one dashboard with no code so that you can understand what really drives revenue at your SaaS. It’s completely no code, and it doesn’t require any setup.
HockeyStack offers these features with no code:
- Step-by-step user journey
- Custom dashboards
- Funnels and goals
- Revenue analytics
HockeyStack has a free forever plan and 3 paid plans. Paid plans have a 14-day trial with a 30-day refund guarantee.
You can check out the pricing page here.
- Salesforce (coming soon)
- Zapier (coming soon)
HockeyStack Pros and Cons
I might be biased, but this is an objective evaluation of HockeyStack’s pros and cons 🙂
The unique benefit of HockeyStack is its ability to unify your marketing, revenue, sales, and product data using no code. This allows you to uncover unique insights that you wouldn’t be able to by using multiple tools as they cause you to have fragmented data.
- You can integrate with Stripe, Paddle, and Hubspot and build every single dashboard that you can think of, using all sales, marketing, revenue, and product metrics.
- You can create funnels, goals, and surveys, which are rare to get with other tools on this list.
- You don’t need any developers, tracking is cookieless, and the script is small, so it doesn’t increase your site loading time.
HockeyStack generally lacks reporting features as it’s not focused on agencies and other reporting-based businesses.
- HockeyStack doesn’t have weekly e-mail reports
- The tool lacks some integrations, such as Salesforce, Mailchimp, and Zapier. (which are on the roadmap)
They help businesses track their monthly recurring revenue, churn, lifetime value, and all other necessary metrics. They offer guidance on cancellation reduction, pricing optimization, and accurate revenue reporting.
They have a wide range of platforms that you can integrate your data from including Stripe, Braintree, Zuora, Chargebee, Chargify, Recurly, and others.
ProfitWell is aware of the struggles of managing a subscription-based business and realizes that time is very crucial for you. That’s why they provide accurate growth reports and straightforward charts to make sure that they simplify your work and let you spare more time for your customers.
Five key aspects of growth that ProfitWell tracks:
- Segment — You can part your audience into 107 different pre-built sections and analyze your growth source and weak-links.
- Acquisition — Growth requires a full understanding of how leads became prospects, and how prospects became customers. The key to success is hidden in the acquisition process.
- Revenue — ProfitWell offers highly-detailed revenue reports that allow you to view every trend and edge based on customers, upgrades, downgrades, and churn.
- Retention — Sustainability is just as important as growth in the first place. ProfitWell helps you measure your retention and churn, and keep you on track.
- Engagement — Understanding the pattern of usage and the relationship you have with customers is key to customer value and success.
You can start using ProfitWell at absolutely $0, and what’s even better is that it won’t get any more expensive than that. They don’t charge you when you are getting started and they don’t charge you after you start to grow.
Baremetrics is a digital analytics tool used by many high-growth companies like ConvertKit and Product Hunt. It is popular in the industry especially with its deep understanding of customer needs and unique input of resources and deep insights.
They offer a very wide range of features:
- Control Center — A central hub with all of your data, information, and insights.
- People Insights — Customer profiles, personalized segmentation, and manual subscriptions.
- Smart Dashboards — Special dashboards with all of your metrics on a simple layout designed for you to dig deeper, compare, and create goals.
- Recover — Enabling Recover in your Baremetrics dashboard allows you to recover your loss due to failed payment.
- Forecasting — Baremetrics offers predictions based on your previous activity and data and helps you make informed decisions.
- Analytics API — You can integrate Baremetrics into any part of your business, integrate any payment provider or subscription platform, and reach all of your insights from wherever you wish.
- Trial Insights — Monitor trial processes, use meaningful metrics, and increase conversions.
- Segmentation — Segment your customers as you wish, compare segments, and track growth.
- Augmentation — Integrate external data to you metrics in order to get deeper insights and a holistic view of your business.
- Cancellation Insights — Collect insights as to why your customers are cancelling, how much you lose, and view methods to ring them back.
- Email Reports — Daily, weekly, or monthly reports from Baremetrics to keep you updated on your growth and progress.
- Benchmarks — Compare you metrics with similar companies through graphs and charts.
- Slack Tools — Connect your team Slack channel with Baremetrics to keep your digital marketing team updated.
Baremetrics offers four different pricing plans —each with a free trial option:
- Base Features starting at $179/mo.
- Metrics with Recover starting at $268/mo.
- Metrics with Cancellation Insights at $358/mo.
- Metrics with Everything starting at $447/mo.
Chargebee is another analytics software tool built to help you out with subscription billing and management.
It supports 32 different payment gateways and offers seamless integration with upto 22 platforms including Xero, QuickBooks, and Zendesk.
One of the best qualities of Chargebee is that it provides many different and useful tools. These features are classified under five different categories to help you easily target your metrics according to your goals.
- Subscription Management — They help you create and mange plans, organize your pricing, handle trial subscriptions, find mobile solutions, optimize and personalize customer service, and backdate subscriptions.
- Billing Automation — They guide you through usage-based billing, invoicing automation, quotes, and proration.
- Recurring Payments — Chargebee supports multiple payment methods and gateways in order to provide you with necessary guidance for smart dunning, chargeback management, and checkout experience optimization.
- Accounting & Taxes — They help you manage revenue recognition, sales tax, and one-click reconciliation.
- Reporting & Analysis — Chargebee offers you a very holistic view of your business and go beyond the basics of just MRR to help you have a clear idea of what you are working with and help you decide where to go next.
Chargebee has four different pricing plans for four different types of customers.
- Rise for agile startups — $249/mo.
- Scale for fast-growth scaleups — $549/mo.
- Enterprise for large businesses — custom pricing
- Launch for early-stage startups — free.
Chargify is a subscription management software created with the aim to guide high-growth companies. It was founded in 2009 and quickly became on of the industry leaders. What makes it unique is that Chargify is the only subscription and billing management tool built specifically for fast-growth B2B SaaS companies.
With its wide network of integrations and payment gateways, Chargify is one of the best at helping SaaS businesses with creating and optimizing deals, pricing, packaging, and managing changes over time.
Chargify offers an extensive variety of features under four different categories:
- Billing — Chargify helps you experiment with dozens of billing scenarios and optimize offers and billing to create a competitive edge. They offer one million permutations and will help you create the perfect pricing plan for your personal needs.
- Subscription Management — Chargify not only helps you create flawless subscription plans, but also allows you to develop healthy customer relationships, decrease churn, and increase lifetime value —with guidance on customer service, sign-up processes, and subscription and billing adjustments.
- Accounting — Chargify offers you automated revenue reports, deferred revenue balance reports, product & component level views, and transactional data exports in order to allow you to recognize and report revenue in a way that aligns with the accounting standards.
- Data & Analysis — With Chargify, you will be able to create custom metrics, collect and stream data, build personalized dashboards, and share everything with your entire team.
Chargify also has four pricing plans over a wide range of monthly cost.
- Essential Plan for $599/mo.
- Standard Plan for $1,499/mo.
- Specialized Plan for $3,499/mo.
- Custom Plan for custom pricing.
Recurly is an all-in-one subscription management and recurring billing platform. They have everything you need to optimize your pricing and subscription models —from aqcuisition to revenue.
Recurly offers an assortment of tools classified under four main sections:
- Subscription Plan Management — managing your offers, experimenting with different plans, a collection of varying billing models, one-click price updates, and promotional tools — all designed to evolve your business.
- Recurring Billing — streamlining, invoicing and order-cash processes, integrating with your accounting, tax, and fraud solutions in order to keep your billing running smoothly
- Recurring Payments — delivering a seamless payment experience with an easy checkout process, ensuring business continuity, optimizing cost of acceptance, higher payment success rate.
- Intelligent Retention — increasing customer lifetime value, recovering revenue, and retaining more customers.
In addition to these four categories, Recurly provides a range of analytics tools to give you a view of your business and help you understand your growth and progress, and decide on future actions. These features allow you to review subscriber retention trends, plans or promotional campaign performance, and measure key financial metrics with unique Recurly dashboards.
Recurly offers three different pricing plans based on business size:
- Core Plan for $149/mo + 0.9% of revenue
- Professional Plan for a personalized price
- Elite Plan for a personalized price
ReCharge is another subscription management and recurring billing software with the mission of “growing your business by creating a seamless buying experience.”
Recharge natively integrates with dozens of commerce apps and has a wide selection of tech partners to make sure that they give you the best experience while helping you out with pricing, packaging, offer optimization, and subscription management.
They have four main goals:
- To quickly enable subscription offers — ReCharge helps you create and offer easy subscription models while supporting all of the major processors methods and integrating with top commerce tools.
- To increase lifetime value & customer engagement — With ReCharge’s help you can let customers manage their own subscriptions, improve customer engagement, and strengthen relationships.
- To reduce customer churn — They guide you to offer a more flexible customer experience by allowing skipping or rescheduling deliveries, swapping products, and improving payment conversions with automatic retries and dunning with the goal of creating brand loyalty and reducing churn.
- To measure performance & optimize your business — ReCharge provides you with insights on evenue, customers, and subscription and allows you to deeply understand customer behavior, track real-time product performance, and use powerful APIs.
ReCharge offers two different pricing models.
- Standard Model with no monthly fee but 1% + 10¢ per transaction.
- Pro Model with $300 monthly fee and 1% + 19¢ per transaction.
Zuora is a subscription management and recurring revenue company founded in 2007. It is widely used by businesses in many different industries including companies like Zoom, Ford, and the Guardian.
Zuora’s platform was designed to act as an intelligent cloud-based subscription management hub that automates and optimizes the quote-to-revenue process.
It offers help on four different aspects of subscription management with a variety of features:
- Billing — Based on your subscriber needs; launch, monetize, and improve different pricing and packaging plans. Offer frictionless subscriber experiences regardless of channel.
- Revenue — Reduce human errors and speed up revenue recognition by putting daily revenue recognition on autopilot, accelerating deal-closing time, and forecasting revenue targets accurately.
- Collect — Maximize your subscription revenue, increase your first-time payment success, and reduce churn by simplifying your payments. Recover upto 20% more of your failed payments through proactive Zuora solutions.
- Central Platform — Build a future-proof platform that integrates seamlessly with your existing subscriber-base and infrastructure in the shortest time. Use Zuora to address your personal problems and customize your plans.
Zuora has not provided pricing details.
ChartMogul is one of the most popular subscription management and recurring billing softwares with an extensive list of features. However, it does have some flaws that make it very irritating to use.
Here in this article I have provided you with eight different possible alternatives for ChartMogul that will be just as sufficient with subscription management, billing and recurring revenue.
Now all you need to do is carefully consider your choices and pick the best option for your business.
ChartMogul offers a Launch Plan free only for businesses with less than $10K in MRR. There are two other pricing plans for larger business with larger MRRs.
Scale Plan: $100/mo + $25/mo per $10K MRR
Volume Plan: starting from $15K/year
You can check out this link for more information.
ARPU stands for average revenue per user and is a measure used by consumer communications. It is a metric that is mainly used to identify trends and implify change that is able to change the trajectory of your business towards the large pool of SaaS profits.